Thursday, June 22, 2006

New experience

I'm birdsitting for the next 11 days. That's right, birdsitting. Marlin & Dell Herschberger have an aviary in their back yard. They are on a Mediterranean cruise with several other Trinity members and have hired me to bird-sit and house-sit. They have Lovebirds, Amazon parrots, Gray Cockatiels, Button Quail, Congo African Grey Parrots, and Nanday Conures... I think. I did a Google search and they most resemble these birds. I won't know for certain until Marlin gets back and I can confirm. I know, I should have thought to ask when I was receiving care instructions. So sue me. The birds are quite fascinating. The two Congo Greys are in separate cages in the house and they like to talk. They also imitate sounds they hear. I often hear someone "knocking" on the door or "ringing" the doorbell. I only fell for it once before I realized it was the birds. They are quite good at imitation. :) Day 1 is complete, 10 more to go. Here's hoping and praying that I don't lose any of them. The aviary has a safety zone, so if they get out of their separate enclosures, I haven't lost them completely. They just have to be guided back.

3 comments:

Debbie Wilson said...

Cool. Will you post pictures? Good ones. Not the "need special glasses to see" ones of the camping trip. :P

Becky said...

Hey, I didn't take a camera on the camping trip so I'm at the mercy of those who did. Photos just aren't available yet. I won't make the same mistake next camping trip. I will take pictures of the birds and post them. I have photos of the house now that it's furnished and I need to finish up the roll.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun job! love ya! Mom