Tuesday, March 27, 2007

More about Luke Days

Here are a few stories about the air show.

1) During the Thunderbird show, four of the six planes were performing a trick and the entire crowd was looking to the right. Everyone's attention was focused on the four planes.


From the left, seemingly out of nowhere (they do fly at 500 mph), one of the other two planes buzzed the crowd. There were a lot of startled people, myself included! I managed to get most of the plane in the corner of the photo. Who would have thought that a fighter jet could sneak up on people like that!







2) Another mind-boggling stunt by the Thunderbirds was when four planes flew at each other from four different directions. There is no margin for error here!









3) The Golden Knights parachute team did a stunt called the "bi-plane" where one jumper stands on another's shoulders and their chutes align so that they look like the wings of a bi-plane. About 15 feet from the ground, they break apart and land separately. Pretty cool trick!









4) One of the performances was a reenactment of the attack on Pearl Harbor. There were a lot of planes in the air at the same time. Once again, I was absolutely amazed at the precision required to keep from crashing all together. The pyrotechnics were pretty awesome too. Great big balls of fire and black smoke everywhere!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! It is exciting just reading about it - can hardly fathom what it would have been like to be there. Love the "sneak attack" story :-)
Well, I'm off to Joel's baseball game - no peanuts or Cracker Jacks though :-( Love, Mom

Angela said...

That looks really interesting! You should become a pilot- yes, I think that would be a good occupation for Becky Wilson "she pilot". :-)
One of my 'life goals that I know will never happen' is to ride in a b-2 stealth bomber. They're awesome! I first saw one at Eilson A.F.B. up here when I was a kid. There's only like 12 of them, each one named after a different state and one is Alaska.

Becky said...

Yeah, it'd be the perfect career if it weren't for the airsickness and fear of flying I developed as a child when our plane almost crashed. I still fly, but God hears from me the entire time!!

The B2 was AWESOME! You could hardly see it coming (which I know is the whole point!). It was just a tiny sliver of dark against a cloudy blue sky.